The priority for any game bird breeder or gamekeeper is to ensure the welfare and the healthy development of the greatest possible number of birds. And, in recent years, more and more breeders and game farmers have chosen to use Stockmax Shavings as part of their strategy for combatting disease.
The same qualities that have made these 100% pine shavings a leading brand of shavings for larger animals including gun dogs, also makes them an ideal bedding for the smallest game bird chicks at the most vulnerable time of their lives.
Here are just a few reasons why Stockmax become a highly recommended bedding for both pheasant and partridge chicks.
- As the shavings are made from 100% UK sourced pine timber, they have scientifically proven natural antiseptic.
- The shavings have been dried to sterilising temperatures during the manufacturing process, to remove any harmful spores.
- To remove dust and small particles which can otherwise impair breathing the shavings have been screened several times throughout the production process.
- Stockmax shavings are cut larger than other game bird beddings to specifically create a deep, warm, insulating bed for chicks.
- The size and design of the flakes ensures that they are too large for chicks to ingest.
- As birds lose heat through their feet very quickly, Stockmax is designed to keep the feet warm, as the moisture drains to the bottom. (One rearer who found that his chicks were losing a lot of heat in the sunshine parlour, has been completely reversed the problem since using Stockmax.)
- Stockmax and spreads very easily and as it keeps in place for several weeks it is economical and easy to use.
- When a Stockmax bedding is made to the optimum depth of around three to four inches deep, it stays very clean and dry and keeps in place for several weeks.
For any game breeder, it is imperative that their partridge and pheasants are reared to the highest possible standards, and Stockmax shavings contribute well to this, and to overall health and wellbeing of the birds.